Entity

Time filter

Source Type

Johannesburg, South Africa

The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, is a multi-campus South African public research university situated in the northern areas of central Johannesburg. It is more commonly known as Wits University. The university has its roots in the mining industry, as do Johannesburg and the Witwatersrand in general. Founded in 1896 as the South African School of Mines in Kimberley, it is the third oldest South African university in continuous operation, after the University of Cape Town , and Stellenbosch University .In 1959, the Extension of University Education Act forced restricted registrations of black students for most of the apartheid era; despite this, several notable black leaders graduated from the university. It became desegregated once again prior to the abolition of apartheid in 1990. Several of apartheid's most provocative critics, of either European or African descent, were one-time students and graduates of the university.The university has an enrolment of 27,934 students as of 2010, of which approximately 4,566 live on campus in the university's 18 residences. As of 2010, 67.7% of the university's total enrolment is for undergraduate study, with the remaining 32.3% being postgraduate. Wikipedia.


Patent
University of Witwatersrand | Date: 2013-10-18

An improved monolithic drug delivery dosage form releases a pharmaceutically active agent at a predetermined rate. The dosage form comprises a salted-out or crosslinked polymer and a pharmaceutically active agent. The salted-out or crosslinked polymer functions to polymerically entangle the pharmaceutically active agent but, progressively relaxes on contact with an aqueous medium in use to release the pharmaceutically active agent at a predetermined rate.


Patent
University of Witwatersrand | Date: 2013-02-08

This invention relates to pharmaceutical dosage forms, particularly to pH dependent pharmaceutical dosage forms with enhanced and/or prolonged distribution of a pharmaceutical compound at a target site. More specifically, this invention relates to a controlled release intravaginal pharmaceutical dosage form and, more particularly, to a pharmaceutical dosage form which comprises microspheres encapsulated and/or embedded within a bioerodible polymeric matrix, together the microspheres and the matrix are formed into a caplet and/or tablet.


Patent
University of Witwatersrand | Date: 2013-10-04

The invention relates to a drug delivery system, particularly to a liposomal drug delivery system. Most particularly the invention relates to a liposomal drug delivery system for the release of at least one drug compound at a target site within a human or animal body. The invention extends to a method of manufacturing the drug delivery system.


A polymeric hydrogel composition is described for the delivery of a pharmaceutically active agent when an electrical stimulus is applied to the composition. The composition comprises a polymer which forms the hydrogel, such as poly vinyl alcohol (PVA) cross-linked with diethyl acetamidomalonate (DAA), an electroactive polymer such as polyaniline and a pharmaceutically active agent such as an analgesic, and in particular, indomethacin. The composition can be subcutaneously implanted at a targeted site and under normal conditions, the active agent will be entrapped in the hydrogel itself. However, upon the application of an electric current to the hydrogel, the active agent will be released. When the electric current is removed, the change is reversed and the active agent will cease to be released. In one embodiment of the invention, the hydrogel composition is for use in alleviating chronic pain.


Patent
University of Witwatersrand | Date: 2014-09-18

The present disclosure relates to a device for use in fluid purification, particularly to a membrane for use in fluid purification, the membrane comprising a porous basal layer in the form of polysulfone (PSF); a multitude of multi-walled carbon nanotubes (CNTs) dispersed within the basal layer; and a top layer in the form of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA). The disclosure extends to a method of manufacturing the device.

Discover hidden collaborations