Time filter

Source Type

Wang B.,the General Hospital of Jinan Military Commanding Region. Jinan | Yu X.,the General Hospital of Jinan Military Commanding Region. Jinan | Xu S.,the General Hospital of Jinan Military Commanding Region. Jinan | Xu M.,the General Hospital of Jinan Military Commanding Region. Jinan
Medicine | Year: 2016

To investigate the clinical efficacy of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of extremity soft tissue sarcomas (STSs). We retrospectively analyzed 28 patients with extremity STS that received 2 cycles of preoperative and 6 cycles of postoperative neoadjuvant chemotherapy between May 2009 and June 2012. Chemotherapy comprised intravenous cisplatin (DDP) (120  mg/m(2), for 1 day), followed 1 week later with 5 days 2  g/m(2) ifosfamide (IFO) and 3 days 30  mg/m(2) adriamycin (ADM). CT scans of the lungs and X-ray films of the lesion sites were reviewed. Eighteen patients were treated for primary tumor and 10 for tumor recurrence. Overall tumor diameter ranged from 8 to 30  cm based on body surface measurement. A total of 224 cycles of chemotherapy were carried out and patients were followed up for 12 to 59 months. Twenty-five patients underwent wide resection surgery (89.2%), and 3 underwent amputation (10.7%). Disease-free survival was realized in 20 patients and 3 patients survived with tumors. Two-year disease-free survival rate was 71.4%, and overall 2-year survival rate was 82.1%. Postoperative metastases were observed in 5 patients, and all died of lung metastases. Postoperative recurrence was observed in 4 patients (including 1 patient occurred metastases later). Tumor size was reduced by 30% ± 11.3% on average after the preoperative chemotherapy, and was reduced by 43% ± 7.8% in 22 patients with tumors >15  cm in the diameter. Twelve patients achieved partial remission, 14 stable disease and 2 experienced progressive disease. Objective response rate was 42.9%. Disease control rate was 92.9%. Chemotherapy was well tolerated in all the patients. Main adverse reactions were transient and resolved after chemotherapy. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy is effective in the treatment of extremity STS. Source

Discover hidden collaborations