Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated

Budapest, Hungary

Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated

Budapest, Hungary

Time filter

Source Type

Horvath E.,Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated | Vadasdi K.,Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated | Vastagh I.,Semmelweis University | Folyovich A.,Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated
Ideggyogyaszati Szemle | Year: 2010

Lipids have important functions in the human body, but high serum cholesterol level is an important risk factor for cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. Prevention of stroke includes modifying risk factors, like dyslipidemias. Based on this theory, we examined in practice the possible role of a public care neurology and stroke department with a large patient turnover in vascular risk screening with regard to the diagnosis of hyperlipidemia. We reviewed all the medical records (irrespective of disease groups) of patients hospitalized in 2007 at Department of Neurology and Stroke Center of Szent János Hospital of the Municipality of the City of Budapest. Patients included in the study were classified into three groups: 1. those admitted with acute stroke; 2. those with a history of acute stroke, but without evidence of a novel cerebrovascular event; 3. no history and evidence of cerebrovascular disease during hospitalization. Our data show that 17.6% of patients was diagnosed with hyperlipidemia during hospital care, and another 18.5% was known to have elevated cholesterol levels. Altogether, 36.1% of the 1438 patients evaluated had hyperlipidemia. Known hypercholesterolemia was 18.4% in patients admitted for acute stroke, 26.9% in patients formerly (but not currently) treated for cerebrovascular disease, and 13.6% in the third group. Newly diagnosed elevated cholesterol levels had highest rate (22.6%) in former stroke patients (currently treated for other diseases); 20.4% in patients with acute stroke, and 13.2% in the third group. In the first two groups, the number of patients newly diagnosed with elevated serum cholesterol almost equaled to those with already known hypercholesterolemia. Based on our data, neurology departments have an important role in diagnosing hyperlipidemia and vascular prevention.

Loading Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated collaborators
Loading Szent Janos Hospital Incorporated collaborators