Entity

Time filter

Source Type


Fatemi S.R.,Shahid Beheshtee University | Shivarani S.,Shahid Beheshtee University | Malek F.N.,Shahid Beheshtee University | Vahedi M.,Shahid Beheshtee University | And 3 more authors.
Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention | Year: 2010

Objectives: To investigate the prevalence of colorectal adenomas and other advanced lesions in first degree relatives of Iranian patients diagnosed with colorectal cancer by colonoscopy and pathologic evaluation. Methods: Iranian colorectal cancer patients (probands) were identified through pathologic reports of the regional cancer registry. First degree relatives (siblings, parents and offspring) of probands were evaluated for the existence of polyps and precancerous lesions via colonoscopy screening. Control patients were chosen among average risk population with no family history of colorectal cancer who agreed to colonoscopy screening. Results: A total of 184 subjects underwent colonoscopy screening from April 2007 to March 2009. From 90 cases among families of probands, 70 (77.8%) had a normal colonoscopy result, 18 (20%) demonstrated polyps and 2 (2.2%) were diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Colonoscopy screening in 94 average risk control patients discovered polyps in 4 (4.3%) cases and the other 90 (95.7%) patients had normal total colonoscopy results. Mean age of cases with advanced lesions was 48.4±10.2 and 41.5±18.4 in control patients with polyps. The incidence of polyps was significantly higher in males, and in family case patients compared to controls. Conclusions: Based on colonoscopy screening, the prevalence of colorectal adenoma and precancerous lesions in first degree relatives of patients diagnosed with colorectal cancer is significantly higher than in the average risk population. Source

Discover hidden collaborations