Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research

Chandigarh, India

Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research

Chandigarh, India

Time filter

Source Type

Vaishnavi C.,Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research | Singh M.,Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research | Mahmood S.,Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research | Kochhar R.,Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research
Journal of Medical Microbiology | Year: 2015

Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) leads to considerable morbidity and mortality among hospitalized patients. Faecal specimens from 1110 hospitalized patients suspected for CDI were cultured for isolation of C. difficile and characterization of virulence genes. PCR was carried out for toxigenic genes tcdA, tcdB, cdtA and cdtB and PCR-RFLP for fliC and slpA genes. Of 174 (15.7 %) C. difficile isolates, 121 (69.5 %) were toxigenic, amongst which 68 (56.2 %) also had both tcdA and tcdB genes. The remaining 53 (43.8 %) of the isolates also had at least one of the toxin genes. Binary toxin genes (cdtA and cdtB) with only one of the two components were present in 16 (9.2 %) of the 174 isolates. The other virulence genes – fliC and slpA – were present in 100 % of the isolates. The most frequent PCR-RFLP type of fliC gene was type I (n5101), followed by type VII (n549) and type III (n524). The slpA gene presented with three combinations of patterns. Characterization of virulence genes in C. difficile isolates is of extreme importance for epidemiological surveillance and control of outbreaks owing to the capacity of this bacterium to adapt to new environmental circumstances, leading to the emergence of new epidemic strains. © 2015 The Authors.


Dutta P.,Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research | Bhansali A.,Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research | Walia R.,Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research | Khandelwal N.,Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research | And 2 more authors.
Indian Journal of Medical Research | Year: 2012

Background & objectives: Hyperthyroidism is associated with increased food intake, energy expenditure and altered body composition. This study was aimed to evaluate the role of adipocytokines in weight homeostasis in patients with hyperthyroidism. Methods: Patients (n=27, 11men) with hyperthyroidism (20 Graves' disease, 7 toxic multinodular goiter) with mean age of 31.3±4.2 yr and 28 healthy age and body mass index (BMI) matched controls were studied. They underwent assessment of lean body mass (LBM) and total body fat (TBF) by dual energy X-ray absorptiometer (DXA) and blood sample was taken in the fasting state for measurement of leptin, adiponectin, ghrelin, insulin, glucose and lipids. Patients were re-evaluated after 3 months of treatment as by that time all of them achieved euthyroid state with carbimazole therapy. Results: The LBM was higher (P<0.001) in healthy controls as compared to hyperthyroid patients even after adjustment for body weight (BW), whereas total body fat was comparable between the two groups. Serum leptin levels were higher in patients with hyperthyroidism than controls (22.3±3.7 and 4.1±0.34 ng/ml, P<0.001), whereas adiponectin levels were comparable. Plasma acylated ghrelin was higher in patients than in controls (209.8±13.3 vs 106.2±8.2 pg/ml, P<0.05). Achievement of euthyroidism was associated with significant weight gain (P<0.001) and significant increase in lean body mass (P<0.001). The total body fat also increased but insignificantly from 18.4±1.8 to 19.9±1.8 kg. There was significant decrease (P<0.05) in serum leptin and acylated ghrelin but adiponectin levels remained unaltered after treatment. Serum leptin positively correlated with TBF and this correlation persisted even after adjustment for BW, BMI, gender and age (r=0.62, P=0.001). However, serum leptin and acylated ghrelin did not correlate with the presence or absence of hyperphagia. Interpretation & conclusion: Patients with hyperthyroidism predominantly had decreased lean body mass which increased after achievement of euthyroidism with carbimazole. The hyperphagia and the alterations in weight homeostasis associated with hyperthyroidism were independent of circulating leptin and ghrelin levels.

Loading Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research collaborators
Loading Postgraduate Institute of MedicalEducation and Research collaborators