Time filter

Source Type

Recife, Brazil

Bezerra J.D.P.,Micoteca URM | Santos M.G.S.,Laboratorio Of Citologia E Genetica Of Fungos | Barbosa R.N.,Micoteca URM | Svedese V.M.,Laboratorio Of Citologia E Genetica Of Fungos | And 6 more authors.

Endophytic fungi live within the healthy tissues of plants and can promote host species tolerance to different environmental stresses. However, most studies have been of plants in humid environments, and there are few reports of the benefits of such associations for plants of extreme environments. Our aims were to identify endophytic fungi using morphological taxonomy, to explore richness and estimate species frequency in a cactus, C. jamacaru, in Brazilian tropical dry forest (Caatinga). We thus identified 59 taxa, corresponding to 69.7 % of the total number of isolates; the other 30.3 % were sterile mycelia. Cladosporium cladosporioides and Fusarium oxysporum were the species most commonly isolated, followed by Acremonium implicatum, Aureobasidium pullulans, Trichoderma viride, Chrysonilia sitophila, and Aspergillus flavus. Forty-seven species are recorded for the first time as endophytic fungi of cacti, and 18 others as endophytes for Brazil; this suggests that C. jamacaru harbors a highly diverse fungal community as measured by a diversity index. However, species accumulation curves suggest that our study still underestimates endophyte diversity because it does not provide an exhaustive sample. To our knowledge, this is the first report of endophytic fungi from C. jamacaru in tropical dry forests. © 2013 Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht. Source

Discover hidden collaborations