Time filter

Source Type

De Jorge T.S.,Federal University of Santa Catarina | Do Motta L.C.C.,Brazilian National Institute of Technology | Da Brito G.F.C.,Brazilian National Institute of Technology | Silva M.H.G.E.,Brazilian National Institute of Technology | And 6 more authors.
Acta Horticulturae | Year: 2013

The strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa) fruit is considered a very delicate and highly perishable fruit. Some of the important problems of this culture are on the packaging, transportation and storage due to its fragility. The demand for new packaging and technologies that minimize contamination to the environment has increased considerably because of environmental sustainability. Biodegradable coating is one of the important tools for environmental sustainability. Some polysaccharides and derivatives have been used as edible coatings due to their gelling properties in the presence of polyvalent cations. The objective of this study was to evaluate the new design of the strawberry packaging as well as the association between the packaging and edible coatings on its postharvest preservation.


dos Santos J.L.V.,Laboratorio Of Tecnologia Of Alimentos | de Resende E.,Laboratorio Of Tecnologia Of Alimentos | Martins D.R.,Laboratorio Of Tecnologia Of Alimentos | de Gravina G.A.,Laboratorio Of Engineering Agricola | And 2 more authors.
Revista Brasileira de Engenharia Agricola e Ambiental | Year: 2013

In this study the fruit quality was characterized at different harvest points for storage of varieties of passion fruits: BRS Gigante Amarelo, BRS Ouro Vermelho and BRS Sol do Cerrado. The physical characteristics of fruits (appearance, mass loss and peel color) and chemical parameters of juice (content of acidity, pH, ascorbic acid, total soluble solids, total soluble sugars and reducing sugars) were characterized. The method of Simple Random Sampling (SRS) was applied, with 0.05 level of signifcance, and means were compared using the "t" Test for Confdence Intervals. Fruits harvested in the early ripening stages showed a higher mass loss as well as the worst juice quality. It was concluded that fruits of different cultivars harvested in summer seasons must present at least 55% of yellow peel color to render the lower mass loss, the best quality of juice and to extend the storage time.


Cerqueira F.O.S.,State University of Norte Fluminense | de Resende E.D.,State University of Norte Fluminense | Martins D.R.,State University of Norte Fluminense | dos Santos J.L.V.,State University of Norte Fluminense | Cenci S.A.,Laboratorio Of Fisiologia Pos Colheita
Ciencia e Tecnologia de Alimentos | Year: 2011

In this study, it was evaluated the quality of yellow passion fruits stored under refrigeration and controlled atmospheres of different composition aiming to extend the postharvest life of the fruits. The characteristics of skin color, appearance, mass loss, as well as the chemical quality of the juice of yellow passion fruits stored at: 21% O 2 plus 0.03% CO 2; 1% O 2 plus 0.03% CO 2; 5% O 2 plus 0.03% CO 2; 12% O 2 plus 5% CO 2; and 5% O 2 plus 15% CO 2, with 1 control treatment (refrigeration at 13 °C and 90% UR) were determined. The analyses were performed before and after 30 days of storage and after removing the controlled atmospheres and storage for 9 days under refrigeration at ambient atmosphere. The data were interpreted by simple statistical analysis using the test by confidence intervals with 95% of probability. It was concluded that the application of atmospheres with low oxygen concentration and high carbon dioxide level minimized quality losses. At atmosphere with 5% O 2 and 15% CO 2, it was observed the lowest color change indexes and mass loss, and also the smallest decrease in acidity, soluble solids content, vitamin C, reducing sugars, and total soluble sugars.

Loading Laboratorio Of Fisiologia Pos Colheita collaborators
Loading Laboratorio Of Fisiologia Pos Colheita collaborators