Entity

Time filter

Source Type


Joo S.,Korea Meteorological Administration | Eyre J.,UK Met Office | Marriott R.,UK Met Office
Monthly Weather Review | Year: 2013

The role of observations in reducing 24-h forecast errors is evaluated using the adjoint-based forecast sensitivity to observations (FSO) method developed within the Met Office global numerical weather prediction (NWP) system. The impacts of various subsets of observations are compared, with emphasis on space-based observations, particularly those frominstruments on board the EuropeanOrganisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites Meteorological Operational-A (MetOp-A) platform. Satellite data are found to account for 64% of the short-range global forecast error reduction, with the remaining 36% coming from the assimilation of surface-based observation types. MetOp-A data are measured as having the largest impact of any individual satellite platform (about 25% of the total impact on global forecast error reduction). Their large impact, compared to that of NOAA satellites, is mainly due to MetOp's additional sensors [Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer (IASI), Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Receiver for Atmospheric Sounding (GRAS), and the Advanced Scatterometer (ASCAT)]. Microwave and hyperspectral infrared sounding techniques are found to give the largest total impacts. However, the GPS radio occultation technique is measured as having the largest mean impact per profile of observations among satellite types. This study demonstrates how the FSO technique can be used to assess the impact of individual satellite data types in NWP. The calculated impacts can be used to guide improvements in the use of currently available data and to contribute to discussions on the evolution of future observing systems. © 2013 American Meteorological Society. Source


Patent
Korea Meteorological Administration | Date: 2010-06-11

Provided is a low atmosphere ascent and descent observation experimental tool. Since a position of a radiosonde and a ground captive position of the radiosonde is accurately grasped using a GPS radiosonde, accurate observation results may be obtained.


Patent
Korea Meteorological Administration | Date: 2011-10-07

Disclosed are systems and methods of detecting oil spills on the sea surface at night. According to some embodiments, implementations herein involve detection of the polarized reflectivity and the refractive index of the water and the oil using the polarization properties of the electromagnetic waves based on satellite data to accurately and quantitatively detect the position of the oil band spread on the sea.


Patent
Korea Meteorological Administration | Date: 2013-04-15

Provided are a method and a system for the correction of an optical satellite image, the method including: a first step in which a satellite image judgment unit inputs and receives a plurality of satellite images divided according to spectral information and judges whether or not some area is a missing satellite image; a second step in which when the satellite image judgment unit judges that the some areas is the missing satellite images, a first interpolation unit inputs and receives the plurality of satellite images and carries out one-dimensional interpolation for each satellite image; a third step in which a second interpolation unit carries out two-dimensional interpolation for each satellite image in which the one-dimensional interpolation is carried out; and a fourth step in which a satellite image composing unit composes a corrected satellite image by gathering each satellite image in which the two-dimensional interpolation is carried out.


Patent
Korea Meteorological Administration and Newmultitech Co. | Date: 2011-12-09

An automatic observation apparatus of sky climate conditions is provided in which an opening and closing device is designed such that a lid moves upward and downward by an elevator so as to open and close the upper portion of an observer and thus, although it snows in winter, the lid moves upward and downward while maintaining a state in which snow is accumulated on the lid, the snow does not collapse due to movement of the lid and does not fall onto a transparent cover of the observer, and thereby obstruction of a visual field of a camera by snow is prevented.

Discover hidden collaborations