Entity

Time filter

Source Type

Kōbe-shi, Japan

Enomoto M.,Osaka City University | Nishiguchi S.,Hyogo College of Medicine | Tamori A.,Osaka City University | Kobayashi S.,Osaka City University | And 7 more authors.
Journal of Gastroenterology | Year: 2013

Background The outcomes of sequential therapy with lamivudine followed by interferon have been unsatisfactory in Japanese patients with hepatitis B envelope antigen (HBeAg)-positive chronic hepatitis B. However, the efficacy of sequential therapy with entecavir and interferon remains unclear. Methods Twenty-four HBeAg-positive patients (23 men and 1 woman; mean age 39 ± 7 years) received entecavir 0.5 mg alone for 36-52 weeks, followed by entecavir plus interferon-α for 4 weeks, and lastly by interferon-a alone for 20 weeks. Twenty-three patients had genotype C infection, and one had genotype A infection. Results No entecavir-resistant mutant variants emerged in any patient. Hepatitis flare occurred in three patients during interferon-a treatment after the withdrawal of entecavir, but none had hepatic decompensation. Serum hepatitis B surface antigen levels did not change during or after therapy. Serum hepatitis B core-related antigen levels were significantly decreased at the start (P <0.0001) and at the end of interferon-a treatment (P <0.0001), but returned to baseline levels after treatment. Twenty-four weeks after the completion of the sequential therapy, a sustained biochemical, virological, and serological response was achieved in 5 (21 %) patients. The proportion of patients in whom HBeAg was lost during entecavir treatment was significantly higher among those with a sustained response than among those with no response (P = 0.015). Conclusions The rate of response to sequential therapy with entecavir and interferon-α in Japanese patients with HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B was not higher than the rate in previous studies of lamivudine followed by interferon. © Springer 2012. Source


Sasayama M.,Kobe University | Deng L.,Kobe University | Kim S.R.,Kobe Asahi Hospital | Ide Y.,Kobe University | And 2 more authors.
Kobe Journal of Medical Sciences | Year: 2010

The role of neutralizing antibodies (NAb) in determining responses to antiviral therapy has not been defined well. By using hepatitis C virus (HCV) cell culture system with the J6/JFH1 strain of HCV genotype 2a, we analyzed NAb responses in patients with chronic hepatitis C who received pegylated-interferon plus ribavirin (PEG-IFN/RBV) antiviral therapy. A total of 65 patients chronically infected with HCV genotype 1b were enrolled in this study. Of all the 65 patients, 34 (52%) patients achieved early virological response (EVR), with the remaining 31 patients (48%) being Non-EVR. Twenty-seven patients (42%) achieved sustained virological response (SVR), with the remaining 38 patients (58%) being Non-SVR. Thus, NAb titers were significantly higher in sera of patients who achieved EVR and SVR than those of Non-EVR and Non-SVR, respectively. Rather unexpectedly, NAb titers did not significantly decrease when measured even one year after disappearance of HCV RNA. On the other hand, when change ratios of NAb titers before and after disappearance of HCV RNA were compared between patients with different treatment outcomes, we noticed that the change ratio of NAb titers of patients who achieved an EVR was significantly lower than that of Non-SVR. In conclusion, our present results suggest that NAb titers were significantly associated with clinical responses to PEG-IFN/RBV therapy. Source


Kim S.R.,Kobe Asahi Hospital | Tohyama M.,Kobe University | Kim S.K.,Kobe University | Matsuoka T.,Kyoto University | And 2 more authors.
Digestive Diseases | Year: 2015

Objectives: The characteristics of hypovascular and hypervascular well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinomas (HCCs) were compared in terms of tumor size, tumor markers and detectability by imaging modalities. Methods: Well-differentiated HCC nodules that are smaller than 2 cm (n = 27) were evaluated in 27 patients using histopathology and divided into 2 groups: hypovascular (n = 10) and hypervascular (n = 17). The diagnostic sensitivity of imaging modalities was then evaluated for efficiency in disclosing tumor size and tumor markers in the 2 types. Results: No difference was observed in tumor size and tumor markers between the 2 types; however, the sensitivity of contrast-enhanced CT, contrast-enhanced ultrasonography and arterioportal angiography was significantly different between the 2 types, whereas that by Gadolinium-ethoxybenzyl-diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI) demonstrated no difference. Conclusion: Hypovascular HCC could be diagnosed by Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI in the hepatobiliary phase. © 2015 S. Karger AG, Basel. Source


Mita K.,Kobe Asahi Hospital | Kim S.R.,Kobe Asahi Hospital | Kudo M.,Kinki University | Imoto S.,Kobe Asahi Hospital | And 6 more authors.
World Journal of Gastroenterology | Year: 2010

AIM: To compare the imaging results with histology and to evaluate the diagnostic sensitivity of imaging modalities for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) smaller than 2 cm. METHODS: Nodules smaller than 2 cm (n = 34) revealed by ultrasonography (US) in 29 patients with liver cirrhosis were analyzed. Histological diagnosis of HCC was performed by ultrasonographic guidance: moderately-differentiated HCC (n = 24); well-differentiated HCC (n = 10). The patterns disclosed by the four imaging modalities defined the conclusive diagnosis of HCC: (1) contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT), hypervascularity in the arterial phase and washout in the equilibrium phase; (2) Sonazoid contrast-enhanced US (CEUS), hypervascularity in the early vascular phase and defect in the Kupffer phase; (3) gadolinium-ethoxybenzyl-diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid (Gd-EOBDTPA)-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), hypervascularity in the arterial phase and/or defect in the hepatobiliary phase; and (4) CT arterioportal angiography: hypervascularity by CT during arteriography and/or perfusion defect by CT during arterial portography. RESULTS: Overall, the sensitivity of diagnosing HCC smaller than 2 cm was 52.9% (18/34) (95% CI: 35.1-70.2) by CECT; 67.6% (23/34) (95% CI: 49.5-82.6) by Sonazoid CEUS; 76.5% (26/34) (95% CI: 58.8-89.3) by Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI; and 88.2% (30/34) (95% CI: 72.5-96.7) by CT arterioportal angiography. The diagnostic sensitivity of detecting moderately-differentiated HCC by CECT, Sonazoid CEUS, Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI and CT arterioportal angiography was 62.5% (15/24) (95% CI: 40.6-81.2), 79.2% (19/24) (95% CI: 57.8-92.9), 75.0% (18/24) (95% CI: 53.3-90.2) and 95.8% (23/24) (95% CI: 78.9-99.9), respectively. A significant difference (P < 0.05) was observed between CECT and CT arterioportal angiography in all nodules. There was no difference between Sonazoid CEUS, Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI, and CT arterioportal angiography. The combined sensitivity of Sonazoid CEUS and Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI was 94.1% (32/34). CONCLUSION: Changing the main diagnostic modality for HCC smaller than 2 cm from CT arterioportal angiography to Sonazoid CEUS and Gd-EOB-DTPA MRI is recommended. © 2010 Baishideng. Source


El-Shamy A.,Kobe University | El-Shamy A.,Suez Canal University | Shoji I.,Kobe University | Kim S.-R.,Kobe Asahi Hospital | And 10 more authors.
PLoS ONE | Year: 2012

Pegylated-interferon plus ribavirin (PEG-IFN/RBV) therapy is a current standard treatment for chronic hepatitis C. We previously reported that the viral sequence heterogeneity of part of NS5A, referred to as the IFN/RBV resistance-determining region (IRRDR), and a mutation at position 70 of the core protein of hepatitis C virus genotype 1b (HCV-1b) are significantly correlated with the outcome of PEG-IFN/RBV treatment. Here, we aimed to investigate the impact of viral genetic variations within the NS5A and core regions of other genotypes, HCV-2a and HCV-2b, on PEG-IFN/RBV treatment outcome. Pretreatment sequences of NS5A and core regions were analyzed in 112 patients infected with HCV-2a or HCV-2b, who were treated with PEG-IFN/RBV for 24 weeks and followed up for another 24 weeks. The results demonstrated that HCV-2a isolates with 4 or more mutations in IRRDR (IRRDR[2a]≥4) was significantly associated with rapid virological response at week 4 (RVR) and sustained virological response (SVR). Also, another region of NS5A that corresponds to part of the IFN sensitivity-determining region (ISDR) plus its carboxy-flanking region, which we referred to as ISDR/+C[2a], was significantly associated with SVR in patients infected with HCV-2a. Multivariate analysis revealed that IRRDR[2a]≥4 was the only independent predictive factor for SVR. As for HCV-2b infection, an N-terminal half of IRRDR having two or more mutations (IRRDR[2b]/N≥2) was significantly associated with RVR, but not with SVR. No significant correlation was observed between core protein polymorphism and PEG-IFN/RBV treatment outcome in HCV-2a or HCV-2b infection. Conclusion: The present results suggest that sequence heterogeneity of NS5A of HCV-2a (IRRDR[2a]≥4 and ISDR/+C[2a]), and that of HCV-2b (IRRDR[2b]/N≥2) to a lesser extent, is involved in determining the viral sensitivity to PEG-IFN/RBV therapy. © 2012 El-Shamy et al. Source

Discover hidden collaborations