Japanese Kawasaki Disease Research Center

Tokyo, Japan

Japanese Kawasaki Disease Research Center

Tokyo, Japan
SEARCH FILTERS
Time filter
Source Type

Davaalkham D.,Ulaanbaatar University | Nakamura Y.,Jichi Medical University | Baigalmaa D.,National Center for Communicable Diseases | Davaa G.,Ulaanbaatar University | And 6 more authors.
Journal of Epidemiology | Year: 2011

Background: Kawasaki disease (KD) has been reported in many countries. However, the incidence of KD in Mongolia is not known. This is the first report of incident cases of KD in Mongolia, which were identified using data from 2 nationwide surveys. Methods: Two nationwide retrospective surveys were conducted: medical histories were collected from patients aged 0 to 16 years who were hospitalized countrywide between 1996 and 2008. Hospital records for these patients were also reviewed. Nationwide training seminars on KD were conducted before each survey. Results: For the nationwide surveys, the participation rates among all hospitals with pediatric wards were 97% and 94%. Inpatient medical histories from 1996 through 2008 were reviewed, and, among children younger than 16 years, 9 patients with KD were investigated. The age of KD patients ranged from 1.4 to 14 years; 7 of 9 patients were male. Six (67%) patients fulfilled all 6 clinical diagnostic criteria; the other 3 (33%) were defined as having KD based on the presence of 5 such criteria. Fever persisting 5 or more days, bilateral conjunctival congestion, and changes of the lips and oral cavity were the most common symptoms, and cervical lymphadenopathy was the least common symptom. Cardiac sequelae developed in 5 of the patients, 4 of whom were older than 10 years. Conclusions: The results of these nationwide surveys reveal that KD cases do exist in Mongolia. However, knowledge of KD among Mongolian pediatricians is likely to be poor. Thus, there is a need to augment their understanding to improve management of KD patients. Further studies are crucial to clarify the epidemiologic characteristics of KD in Mongolia. © 2011 by the Japan Epidemiological Association.

Loading Japanese Kawasaki Disease Research Center collaborators
Loading Japanese Kawasaki Disease Research Center collaborators