Jarvis Christian College is an independent four year, historically black college affiliated with the Christian Church . It is located in unincorporated Wood County, Texas, near Hawkins. It was founded in 1912, and is currently headed by President Dr. Lester C. Newman.QUICK FACTS1. Oil Wells were discovered on the campus of Jarvis in the early 1940s. These wells have provided millions in revenue since their discovery and still provide some source of revenue to this day.2. The campus is closed one hour on Tuesdays of each week for chapel service. Chapel services are steeped in the Christian tradition as Jarvis has always been affiliated with the Christian Church .3. Founded in 1912, the four-year liberal arts college is the only school remaining of the dozen historically African American colleges founded by the Christian Church.4. You can learn about the college’s founding through the beautiful stained glass windows in the campus’ Christian Church. Paintings on the stained glass windows capture the very interesting story of Jarvis College.5. The Nature trail on campus is a relatively undiscovered trail system attached to the College. It was built with federal funds and therefore open to the public. The trail is a great 2-mile figure-8 loop through heavy woods and partially over a boardwalk area. It also intersects with other trails and roads in the woods behind Jarvis that are used to access various oil wells and pipelines. A great running trail, maybe 5-feet wide in most places. The trail has periodic signs which point out the flora and fauna of the area. The trail is open to everyone!HISTORY OF THE COLLEGEJarvis Christian College is a historically Black institution that has been affiliated with the Christian Church since inception. Jarvis Christian College began as Jarvis Christian Institute, modeled after the Southern Christian Institute of Edwards, Mississippi. Formal instructional programs commenced on January 13, 1913, with an enrollment of twelve students, all in the elementary grades.The recorded history began in 1904, when the Negro Disciples of Christ in Texas, spearheaded by Mrs. Mary Alphin, State Organizer, in conjunction with the Christian Woman’s Board of Missions, began planning for a school for Black youth. Financial goals were set. The Negro Disciples of Christ in Texas were to raise $1,000 for a school; the Christian Woman’s Board of Missions would contribute $10,000 if this were done. Meanwhile, Miss Virginia Hearn, State Secretary for Women’s Work, convinced Mrs. Ida Van Zandt Jarvis of the need for a school for Black youth.In turn, Mrs. Jarvis worked to persuade her husband, Major James Jones Jarvis, to donate land upon which a school could be built. In 1910, Major and Mrs. Jarvis deeded 456 acres of land near Hawkins, Texas, to the Christian Woman’s Board of Missions on the condition that it “keep up and maintain a school for the elevation and education of the Negro race... in which school there shall be efficient religious and industrial training.” Inherent in the spirit of the donation was the idea that the land would be used to educate “head, heart, and hand” and to produce “useful citizens and earnest Christians.”Although the thrust of the educational program has changed dramatically since then, Jarvis Christian College has continued to educate “head, heart, and hand,” a challenging and ambitious purpose. Shortly after the land was donated, the Negro Disciples of Christ in Texas, largely through the efforts of the women of the churches, successfully completed the fundraising campaign.In 1912, Mr. Thomas Buchanan Frost, a graduate of the Southern Christian Institute, who was to serve as Superintendent, came to start a school. Soon Mr. Charles Albert Berry, also a Southern Christian Institute graduate, came to join him to serve as Principal. These men and their families were the Jarvis pioneers, a small group who accepted the monumental challenge of clearing the swampland and erecting the buildings in order that instruction could begin.In 1914, Mr. James Nelson Ervin came from Johnson City, Tennessee, to be the first president. He served in that capacity until 1938, a period of twenty-four years. During the first year of his tenure, high school subjects were added to the curriculum. Notably, during its early years, Jarvis Christian Institute was one of the few schools available in East Texas in which Black youth had the opportunity to complete a high school education. Jarvis Christian Institute was the only accredited high school for Blacks in East Texas.Although fragmentary records indicate some college work was offered as early as 1916, junior college courses were included as regular curricular offerings in 1927. The school was incorporated as a college in 1928. Senior college courses were introduced in 1937.Built in 1936, the Emma B. Smith Building is used to house several administrative offices and is the only campus structure remaining from the Ervin era.In 1938, Mr. Peter Clarence Washington came from East St. Louis, Illinois, to serve as the second president. High school work was eliminated that year. The original charter by the State of Texas, granted in 1939, states that Jarvis Christian College proposes to offer “. . . practical, domestic, manual, and agricultural training, as well as high grade instruction in the arts and science... ”The Florence Robinson House, now the Alumni Heritage House, is the only structure remaining from the Washington presidency.In 1949, Dr. John B. Eubanks assumed administrative duties as Executive Vice-President. He is credited with the introduction of a general education program and additional innovations, which hastened recognition by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1950, to include Jarvis Christian College on its Approved List of Colleges and Universities for Negro Youth. This was the only regional accreditation then available to Black Colleges in the South.Dr. Eubanks was named the third President of Jarvis Christian College in 1951 and served until 1953.In 1953, Dr. Cleo Walter Blackburn, who had served as a consultant to President Eubanks, began his eleven-year tenure as the fourth President of Jarvis Christian College. That same year, Fundamental Education was included as a component of the educational program.In 1959, Dr. John Oliver Perpener, Jr. was named Executive Vice President and served as resident executive.The Blackburn presidency culminated with an affiliation between Jarvis Christian College and Texas Christian University in 1964, through a “Memorandum of Understanding” . Also, in 1964, the year that Dr. Perpener became Provost and Chief Administrative Officer, Fundamental Education and the Agro- Industrial offerings were eliminated as components of the educational program.The Olin Library and Communication Center opened in 1965. This major building was a gift from the Olin Foundation.Operation Cram, a pre-college program for prospective college students, was initiated during the summer of 1965. While this effort had an academic component, its major emphasis was socio- cultural enrichment.In 1966, Dr. Perpener became the fifth president of the College. He was the first alumnus to be appointed to the office.Also, in 1966, Jarvis Christian College gained membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.The next year, Jarvis Christian College became affiliated with the Texas Association of Developing Colleges, a six-college consortium of historically Black colleges.In 1969, the Texas Education Agency approved the Teacher Education Program, and the campus master plan was updated.During the same year, the Charles A. Meyer Science and Mathematics Center opened. This was the second major building underwritten by the Olin Foundation.In 1970, four additional residence halls—two each for men and women—and the Elbie Guy Crawford Titus Women’s Commons Building were completed.Dr. Perpener resigned in 1971, and Dr. John Paul Jones was named Acting President. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools granted reaffirmation of accreditation following the regularly scheduled visitation in 1971.Dr. John Paul Jones was appointed the sixth president of Jarvis Christian College in 1972. A major improvement to the physical plant during his administration was a water purification system and sewage disposal plant that was completed in 1973.The Advanced Summer Enrichment Program was begun in 1976. The major focus of this program was providing entering freshmen an academic introduction to college. The program continues to serve this function.After the resignation of Dr. Jones in 1976, Dr. James O. Griffin served as Interim Administrator for two months.In 1976, Dr. Earl Wadsworth Rand, an alumnus and a former dean of Jarvis Christian College, became the seventh president. Recognizing a need for special attention to entering students, the academic sector added the Division of Basic Studies in 1976. The Division of Basic Studies had the administrative responsibility for initial advisement for all transfer students as well as for academic advisement for freshmen and sophomore students.In 1978, the Southern Christian Institute National Alumni and Ex-Students Association merged with the Jarvis Christian College National Alumni and Ex-Students Association.The Earl Wadsworth Rand Health, Physical Education and Recreation Center was dedicated in December 1979, the month Dr. Rand retired.Dr. Charles Albert Berry, Jr., an alumnus of Jarvis Christian College, became the eighth president on January 1, 1980.In 1981, the official transfer of the title of the initial land donated, by Major and Mrs. Jarvis, from the United Christian Missionary Society to Jarvis Christian College was realized.The James Nelson Ervin Religion and Culture Center named in honor of the first president of Jarvis Christian College and consisting, currently, of two structures, was completed in 1983. The two structures are the Smith-Howard Chapel and the Peoples-Dickson Religion Building. Two additional residence halls were dedicated in 1986—one each for men and women—as was a twelve unit student-parent apartment complex in 1988.Dr. Julius Franklin Nimmons, Jr., became the ninth president on June 1, 1988. During his administration, Jarvis Christian College was involved in extensive review and assessment of its total operation. Emphasis was placed on campus beautification.Dr. E. W. Rand and Dr. Charles Berry, Jr. served as administrative officers during the summer and fall of 1990.Dr. Sebetha Jenkins became the tenth president on January 1, 1991.Jarvis Christian College received reaffirmation of accreditation by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in December 1993.Other milestones realized during Dr. Jenkins’ tenure included a $7.5 million capital campaign, the implementation of a campus-wide computer network, the initiation of the Pioneer Hall of Fame Awards Program, expansion of summer programs for area youth, the Hands-On- Mission Program for campus beautification, the Service-Learning Program, and the Walk of Fame Plaza.Major renovations and capital improvements occurred during 1993 and 1994. A distance- learning laboratory was built to allow students at Jarvis Christian College to participate in classroom activities simultaneously with students in courses held on other college campuses without having to leave Jarvis.Since 1995, the College has completed a community technology center and a three-story 7.5 million dollar, 304 bed residence hall.On January 2, 2009, Dr. Cornell Thomas was appointed the eleventh president. Dr. Thomas was committed to students receiving a quality education. His vision for Jarvis was that it becomes a premier Christian College that offers a quality education that prepares our youth to face the challenges confronting them upon graduation. He started a Pre-Honors Program for Freshman students, revitalized the Honor’s Program and opened the Office of Student Academic Success.On April 2, 2012, Dr. Lester C. Newman became the 12th President and is currently serving in that capacity. Wikipedia.
Zwieb C.,University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler |
Bhuiyan S.,Jarvis Christian College
Archaea | Year: 2010
Archaea SRP is composed of an SRP RNA molecule and two bound proteins named SRP19 and SRP54. Regulated by the binding and hydrolysis of guanosine triphosphates, the RNA-bound SRP54 protein transiently associates not only with the hydrophobic signal sequence as it emerges from the ribosomal exit tunnel, but also interacts with the membrane-associated SRP receptor (FtsY). Comparative analyses of the archaea genomes and their SRP component sequences, combined with structural and biochemical data, support a prominent role of the SRP RNA in the assembly and function of the archaea SRP. The 5e motif, which in eukaryotes binds a 72 kilodalton protein, is preserved in most archaea SRP RNAs despite the lack of an archaea SRP72 homolog. The primary function of the 5e region may be to serve as a hinge, strategically positioned between the small and large SRP domain, allowing the elongated SRP to bind simultaneously to distant ribosomal sites. SRP19, required in eukaryotes for initiating SRP assembly, appears to play a subordinate role in the archaea SRP or may be defunct. The N-terminal A region and a novel C-terminal R region of the archaea SRP receptor (FtsY) are strikingly diverse or absent even among the members of a taxonomic subgroup. © 2010 C. Zwieb and S. Bhuiyan.
Sundaresan A.,Texas Southern University |
Marriott K.,Savannah State University |
Mao J.,Tougaloo College |
Bhuiyan S.,Jarvis Christian College |
Microgravity Science and Technology | Year: 2015
Microgravity and radiation exposure experienced during space flights result in immune system suppression. In long-term spaceflight, the crew is exposed to space radiation, microgravity, infectious agents from other crew members, and microbial contamination, all of which have a significant impact on the body’s immune system and may contribute to the development of autoimmune diseases, allergic reactions, and/or cancer initiation. Many studies have revealed strong effects of microgravity on immune cell function, and microgravity is now considered as one of the major causes of immune dysfunction during space flight (Sundaresan, Int. J. Transp. Phenom. 12(1-2), 93–100, 2011; Martinelli et al., IEEE Eng. Biol. Med. 28(4), 85–90, 2009). We screened two newly synthetized derivatives of benzofuran 2-carboxylic acid, KMEG and KM12. The former KMEG was assessed for lymphoproliferative activities while the latter, KM12, was used in an array of cancer cell lines for testing its cancer inhibiting effects. For ground-based studies, synthetic benzofuran-2-carboxylic acid derivatives were assessed for biological effects in several scenarios, which involved exposure to modeled microgravity and radiation, as well as their immune enhancement and anti-cancer effects. Initial findings indicate that the benzofuran-2-carboxylic acid derivatives possibly have immune enhancing and anti-tumor properties in human lymphocytes and cancer cells exposed to analog spaceflight conditions modeled microgravity and γ-radiation). © 2015, Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht.
Liu T.-A.,University of Toledo |
Bhuiyan S.,Jarvis Christian College |
Liu M.-Y.,National Synchrotron Radiation Research Center |
Sugahara T.,University of Toledo |
And 7 more authors.
Current Drug Metabolism | Year: 2010
Cytosolic sulfotransferases (SULTs) are traditionally known as the Phase II drug-metabolizing or detoxifying enzymes that serve for the detoxification of drugs and other xenobiotics. These enzymes in general catalyze the transfer of a sulfonate group from the active sulfate, 3′-phophoadenosine 5′-phosphosulfate (PAPS), to low-molecular weight substrate compounds containing hydroxyl or amino group(s). Despite considerable efforts made in recent years, some fundamental aspects of the SULTs, particularly their ontogeny, cell type/tissue/organ-specific distribution, and physiological relevance, particularly their involvement in drug metabolism and detoxification, still remain poorly understood. To better understand these fundamental issues, we have embarked on developing the zebrafish as a model for studies concerning the SULTs. To date, fifteen zebrafish SULTs have been cloned, expressed, purified, and characterized. These zebrafish SULTs, which fall into four major SULT gene families, exhibited differential substrate specificities and distinct patterns of expression at different stages during embryogenesis, through larval development, and on to maturity. The information obtained, as summarized in this review, provides a foundation for further investigation into the physiological and pharmacological involvement of the SULTs using the zebrafish as a model. © 2010 Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.
Johnson K.D.,Jarvis Christian College
Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy | Year: 2010
This paper provides an example of the application of neuropastoral care and counseling using neuroscience research on glossolalia, that is, speaking in tongues as practiced in Pentecostal Christianity. The paper is based in part on a 2006 article by Andrew Newberg and assesses glossolalia's biogenic, psychogenic, and theogenic dimensions. The assessment concludes glossolalia is an implicitly learned sacred behavior. Unconsciously learned fears may interfere with the practice of glossolalia. A person, from a Pentecostal Christian background, might see this inability as an act of disobedience or a lack of faith. In such cases, verbal counseling would be of limited assistance. Neuropastoral care and counseling responses begin with reassurance followed by cognitive behavioral interventions such as passive extinction, cognitive emotion regulation strategies, and guided imagery. © Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.
Goodwin J.T.,Jarvis Christian College |
Godwin W.,Jarvis Christian College |
Preston L.,Jarvis Christian College
Southwestern Entomologist | Year: 2010
One new record for the United States, six new Texas records, and 137 new Texas county records of Tabanidae, plus additional collection records for some counties, are provided. Three errors in the paper noted in the title are identified and corrected.
Mohammed Y.I.,University of Toledo |
Kurogi K.,University of Toledo |
Shaban A.A.,University of Toledo |
Xu Z.,University of Toledo |
And 6 more authors.
Aquatic Toxicology | Year: 2012
By searching the GenBank database, we identified sequences encoding three new zebrafish cytosolic sulfotransferases (SULTs). These three new zebrafish SULTs, designated SULT1 ST9, SULT3 ST4, and SULT3 ST5, were cloned, expressed, purified, and characterized. SULT1 ST9 appeared to be mostly involved in the metabolism and detoxification of xenobiotics such as β-naphthol, β-naphthylamine, caffeic acid and gallic acid. SULT3 ST4 showed strong activity toward endogenous compounds such as dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), pregnenolone, and 17β-estradiol. SULT3 ST5 showed weaker, but significant, activities toward endogenous compounds such as DHEA and corticosterone, as well as xenobiotics including mestranol, β-naphthylamine, β-naphthol, and butylated hydroxyl anisole (BHA). pH-dependency and kinetic constants of these three enzymes were determined with DHEA, β-naphthol, and 17β-estradiol as substrates. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) was performed to examine the expression of these three new zebrafish SULTs at different developmental stages during embryogenesis, through larval development, and on to maturity. © 2012 Elsevier B.V..
PubMed | Jarvis Christian College
Type: Journal Article | Journal: Journal of health care chaplaincy | Year: 2010
This paper provides an example of the application of neuropastoral care and counseling using neuroscience research on glossolalia, that is, speaking in tongues as practiced in Pentecostal Christianity. The paper is based in part on a 2006 article by Andrew Newberg and assesses glossolalias biogenic, psychogenic, and theogenic dimensions. The assessment concludes glossolalia is an implicitly learned sacred behavior. Unconsciously learned fears may interfere with the practice of glossolalia. A person, from a Pentecostal Christian background, might see this inability as an act of disobedience or a lack of faith. In such cases, verbal counseling would be of limited assistance. Neuropastoral care and counseling responses begin with reassurance followed by cognitive behavioral interventions such as passive extinction, cognitive emotion regulation strategies, and guided imagery.