Entity

Time filter

Source Type

Edmonton, Canada

Xing J.Z.,University of Alberta | Yang X.,University of Alberta | Xu P.,University of Alberta | Ang W.T.,IntelligentNano Inc. | And 2 more authors.
Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology | Year: 2012

With the rapidly growing demand for monoclonal antibody (mAb)-based products, new technologies are urgently needed to increase mAb production while reducing manufacturing costs. To solve this problem, we report our research findings of using low-intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS) to enhance mAb production. LIPUS with frequency of 1.5 MHz and pulse repetition frequency of 1 kHz, as well as duty cycle of 20%, was used to stimulate hybridoma cells to enhance the production of mAb, anti-CD4 (hybridoma GK1.5). The enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay results show a 60.42 ± 7.63% increase of mAb expression in hybridoma cells. The evidence of structural changes of the cellular outer membrane in both transmission electron microscopy and scanning electron microscopy images and the more than 20% lactate dehydrogenase release indicates that the increased mAb production is related to the increased cell permeability induced by LIPUS. This value-added ultrasound technology provides a potential cost-effective solution for pharmaceutical companies to manufacture mAb-based drugs. The technology, in turn, can reduce the drug manufacturing costs and decrease health care spending. © 2012 World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology. Source


Shaheen M.,University of Alberta | Choi M.,University of Alberta | Ang W.,IntelligentNano Inc. | Zhao Y.,University of Alberta | And 4 more authors.
Renewable Energy | Year: 2013

We explored the application of Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound (LIPUS) technology to improve the metabolic activity of microorganisms. In this study we showed that LIPUS improves bio-ethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass. We determined specific LIPUS conditions to increase the metabolic activity of both the cellulose degrading fungus, Trichoderma reesei Rut C-30 and the ethanol producing yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. LIPUS conditions of 1.5 MHz, 20% duty cycle, 80 mW/cm2 intensity, 5 min exposure and 12 exposures per day were found to improve the activity of the organisms the most. These LIPUS treatment conditions increased cellulase production by T. reesei by 16 ± 6%. The same LIPUS treatment conditions induced a 31 ± 10% increase in ethanol production by S. cerevisiae which implies a cumulative improvement of 52 ± 16% in lignocellulosic bio-ethanol production with LIPUS. This observation shows a new potential for LIPUS in the improvement of lignocellulosic bioethanol production to make it a sustainable energy source. © 2013 Elsevier Ltd. Source


Xing J.,University of Alberta | Ang W.,IntelligentNano Inc. | Chen J.,University of Alberta
Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS | Year: 2013

In this paper, a simple and adaptive thermoacoustic sensor was designed to measure Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound (LIPUS). Compared to other thermoacoustic sensor designs, our novelty lies in (i) integrating an ultrasound medium layer during the measurement to simplify the complicated set-up procedures and (ii) taking the effect of ambient temperatures into design consideration. After measuring temperature increases with various ambient temperatures under different ultrasound intensities, a relationship among ultrasound intensities, ambient temperatures and coefficients of temporal temperature changes was calculated. Our improved design has made the sensor easy to operate and its performance more accurate and consistent than the thermoacoustic sensor designs without considering ambient temperatures. In all, our improved design greatly enhances the thermoacoustic sensor in practical ultrasound calibration. © 2013 IEEE. Source


Patent
IntelligentNano Inc. and Pharmatech, Inc. | Date: 2010-04-07

The present invention is directed to nanoparticles comprising a cancer therapeutic, pharmaceutical compositions comprising same, and methods for using same for drug delivery and ultrasound or light-based treatment of cancer.


Patent
IntelligentNano Inc. | Date: 2012-04-05

The invention includes a magnetic nanoparticle molecular delivery vehicle to be used for transfection and delivery of therapeutic molecules across cell membranes and to specific sites in the body, using magnetic forces and ultrasound.

Discover hidden collaborations