Campo Grande, Brazil
Campo Grande, Brazil

Time filter

Source Type

Barbosa K.V.C.,University of Sao Paulo | Barbosa K.V.C.,Instituto Arara Azul | Filadelfo T.,Instituto Arara Azul | Filadelfo T.,University of Brasilia | And 2 more authors.
Revista Brasileira de Ornitologia | Year: 2014

The Collared Forest-Falcon Micrastur semitorquatus is a widespread, relatively common species occurring throughout most of Brazil. Very few data exist on its breeding biology, but it is known to nest mainly in natural cavities of large trees, usually made by other bird species. In this study we report a case of a Collared Forest-Falcon that hatched in an artificial incubator and was introduced into a natural nest previously known with three chicks of same species and similar age. The introduced chick was successfully accepted and fed by the adult parents for more than 15 days, until our last visit to the nest. Although the study case presented here required the existence of an active nest of the same species for an introduction of the chick, it was an alternative, lowcost way to ensure the success of the nestling and avoid the probability of imprinting during the time expended rearing the chicks in situ.

Barbosa K.V.C.,Instituto Arara Azul | Barbosa K.V.C.,University of Sao Paulo | Filadelfo T.,Instituto Arara Azul | Filadelfo T.,University of Brasilia | And 4 more authors.
Wilson Journal of Ornithology | Year: 2014

Laughing Falcons (Herpetotheres cachinnans) are common, medium-sized falconids that occur throughout the Neotropical region and marginally in the Nearctic American continent. There is little data on their breeding biology with the only information available based on scattered records. Here, we report data on 11 nests of H. cachinnans from the Pantanal, Brazil, including four in nest-boxes, between 2007-2008. The breeding season occurred between July-December, which is in accordance with the few records for this region. Records of two eggs or nestlings were found in 28% (n = 3) of nests, while the remaining 72% (n = 8) had one egg or nestling. The eggs were rounded and buff with brown markings or dark brown or purplish brown with darker markings. The hatchlings, even when a few days old, are pale buff overall in plumage with the distinctive black mask, typical of the adults. An undescribed vocalization of the nestling was recorded, which is similar to an uncommon vocal type emitted by the adults when disturbed. The study reveals novel data on the use of nest-boxes and on the breeding biology of the species, and reinforces the importance of such studies on its conservation. © 2014 by the Wilson Ornithological Society.

Fontoura F.M.,Anhanguera-Uniderp University | Fontoura F.M.,Instituto Arara Azul | Matias R.,Anhanguera-Uniderp University | Ludwig J.,University Federal da Fronteira Sul | And 6 more authors.
Acta Amazonica | Year: 2015

In the Southern Pantanal, the hyacinth macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus), an endangered species, often chooses the manduvi tree (Sterculia apetala) as a nesting site, because of its physical properties. In addition, the chemical composition of the wood may also contribute to a nesting selection by the hyacinth macaws. The objective of this study was to determine the main chemical components of S. apetala bark for two seasons, and evaluate its fungicidal potential. Bark samples from S. apetala trees with and without nests of A. hyacinthinus were collected in January (wet season) and August (dry season) of 2012. The inhibition of mycelium growth (MGI) from tree samples with and without nests were assessed using a phytochemical analysis to evaluate their antifungal activity against Trichoderma sp. Phytochemical analysis confrmed the presence of phenolic compounds and favonoids. In both seasons, samples obtained from nested trees had higher content of total phenols than those collected from non-nested trees. The average content of total favonoids was higher in January for samples with nest and in August for samples without nest. All selected samples showed antifungal activity, and those with nest collected in August (peak of hyacinth macaw breeding) resulted in an MGI of 51.3%. Terefore, this percentage, related to the content of favonoids and the presence of coumarins, may infuence the reproductive success of hyacinth macaws and other species of birds, in this region. Tis is the frst chemical study report with the stem bark of S. apetala. © 2015, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazonia. All Rights Reserved.

Loading Instituto Arara Azul collaborators
Loading Instituto Arara Azul collaborators