Entity

Time filter

Source Type

Brazil

Riera N.E.,Citometria de Flujo | Salto M.R.,Asotiacion Espanola Primera de Socorros Mutuos Montevideo | Galan V.,Citometria de Flujo | Canalejo K.,Division Laboratorio | And 5 more authors.
International Journal of Laboratory Hematology | Year: 2010

Introduction: Immune humoral neutropenia (Np) could be the consequence of anti-polymorphonuclear neutrophil (PMN) antibodies, circulating immune complexes (CIC) and/or antibodies against myeloid precursors. Granulocyte immunofluorescence test (GIFT) and a leukoagglutination technique (LAGT) assays are recommended for its diagnosis. Methods: Fifty adult patients with secondary Np were screened for anti-PMN. GIFT by flow cytometry from viable PMN and LAGT were employed. In addition, CIC levels, low expression of CD16b (CD16 b low), PMN phenotype and sera tumor necrosis factor- alpha (TNF-α) were also evaluated. Results: Direct IgG-PMN binding (dir-GIFT) was positive in 16% of the patients. Antibodies against autologous PMN were detected in 32% of the samples by indirect (ind)-GIFT and demonstrated in 70% of the sera by both ind-GIFT and/ or LAGT. Predominance of human neutrophil alloantigen (HNA)-1b and HNA-2 expression was confirmed. CD16b low was detected in 16% of the patient's PMN and TNF-α in 68% of sera patients. Conclusion:Our results suggest that diagnosis of immune Np in the laboratory may be improved by focusing on patient's PMN together with the assessment of cellular markers. © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. Source


Ron-Guerrero C.S.,Hematologo | Ron-Magana A.L.,Hematologia
Medicina Interna de Mexico | Year: 2011

In Nayarit, Mexico were 7 (0.91%) secondary dengue deaths out of 773 cases of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF). Were described and analyzed four fatal cases; all patients were adults under age 50, without comorbidities. The outstanding feature was hypotension refractory to therapeutic measures. All the patients had a shorter hospital stay, 24 hours maximum. Three patients had leukocytosis with neutrophilia. None patient had bleeding diathesis that would lead to shock. Apart from dengue shock syndrome (DSS), one patient had electrocardiographic data of acute myocardial infarction, another patient had myocarditis data, and another patient was reported pericardial effusion and liver failure. No patients had platelets counts below 30,000/mm3, and they did not die of bleeding. All patients had arterial hypotension refractory to conventional treatment with short hospital stay. Source


Fabregat Bolufer A.B.,Hospital Universitario Of La Ribera | Estela Burriel P.L.,Hospital Universitario Of La Ribera | Valero Nunez M.,Hematologia
Revista del Laboratorio Clinico | Year: 2015

Lymphoma is the most prevalent kind of hematopoietic neoplasm, and it can be classified into two groups, Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is one of the mature B cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas, with aggressive behavior and originates in peripheral zone cells of the germinal center or in the mantle zone of lymphoid.The mantle cell lymphoma is one of the less common lymphomas, and comprises about 7% of cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the US and Europe, with an incidence of 4 to 8 cases per million persons per year. Around three-quarters of affected patients are Caucasian males, halving the rate in blacks. Median age at diagnosis is 68 years. Approximately 75% of patients initially present with lymphadenopathy and disease is the primary presentation in the remaining 25% (spleen, bone marrow, blood, gastrointestinal tract, breast, pleura and eye orbit).The Laboratory is a key pillar in the diagnosis of MCL established by histological, immunophenotypic and molecular study.Most patients with mantle cell lymphoma (70%) develope advanced stage disease at diagnosis, involving gastrointestinal tract and bone marrow.Although patients mainly present with lymphadenopathy and other lymphoid tissues participation, sometimes lymphoma invades the bone marrow and peripheral blood. This process is called leukemization and occurs in 35% of cases. Faced with a very high number of leukocytes in a patient already diagnosed with MCL, the role of the laboratory will be to observe the smear blood for lymphocyte centroblastic appearance.With conventional treatments median survival was 3 years, which has increased to 7 years with new treatments. Leukemized MCL prognosis is lower than in a ganglion forms without peripheral expression. © 2015 AEBM, AEFA y SEQC. Source


Da Silva P.H.,Federal University of Parana | Correa J.R.A.,Hematologia | Correa J.R.A.,Hospital Universitario Evangelico Of Curitiba Huec | Henneberg R.,Sao Paulo State University | And 3 more authors.
Jornal Brasileiro de Patologia e Medicina Laboratorial | Year: 2012

Introduction: The prothrombin time (PT) test is commonly used to monitor anticoagulant levels in patients undergoing oral anticoagulant therapy. Currently, anticoagulation levels have been assessed through the international normalized ratio (INR) value. Objective: The objective of this study was to determine if inhouse preparations of polled plasma, containing five (P5) and 20 (P20) samples, respectively, may be used as normal control of PT and to assess its interference in INR values. Material and methods: The experiment was performed in 32 days. Both polled plasma preparations were analyzed in comparison with a commercial control (PC). PT was performed for PC, P5 and P20 daily and the INR value for PC, P5 and P20 was assessed in patients undergoing oral anticoagulant therapy. The applied statistical tools were mean value (X), analysis of variance and Tukey test. Results: There were no statiscally significant differences in PT and INR for PC, P5 and P20. Conclusion: In-house polled plasma (P5 and P20) may be applied as normal control of PT and it does not interfere in the INR value. Source


Fabregat Bolufer A.B.,Hospital Universitario Of La Ribera | Estela Burriel P.L.,Hospital Universitario Of La Ribera | Valero Nunez M.,Hematologia
Revista del Laboratorio Clinico | Year: 2016

Lymphoma is the most prevalent kind of hematopoietic neoplasm, and it can be classified into two groups, Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is one of the mature B cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas, with aggressive behavior and originates in peripheral zone cells of the germinal center or in the mantle zone of lymphoid.The mantle cell lymphoma is one of the less common lymphomas, and comprises about 7% of cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the US and Europe, with an incidence of 4 to 8 cases per million persons per year. Around three-quarters of affected patients are Caucasian males, halving the rate in blacks. Median age at diagnosis is 68 years. Approximately 75% of patients initially present with lymphadenopathy and disease is the primary presentation in the remaining 25% (spleen, bone marrow, blood, gastrointestinal tract, breast, pleura and eye orbit).The Laboratory is a key pillar in the diagnosis of MCL established by histological, immunophenotypic and molecular study.Most patients with mantle cell lymphoma (70%) develope advanced stage disease at diagnosis, involving gastrointestinal tract and bone marrow.Although patients mainly present with lymphadenopathy and other lymphoid tissues participation, sometimes lymphoma invades the bone marrow and peripheral blood. This process is called leukemization and occurs in 35% of cases. Faced with a very high number of leukocytes in a patient already diagnosed with MCL, the role of the laboratory will be to observe the smear blood for lymphocyte centroblastic appearance.With conventional treatments median survival was 3 years, which has increased to 7 years with new treatments. Leukemized MCL prognosis is lower than in a ganglion forms without peripheral expression. © 2015 AEBM, AEFA y SEQC. Source

Discover hidden collaborations