Hoeft B.,German Cancer Research Center |
Linseisen J.,German Cancer Research Center |
Linseisen J.,Helmholtz Center Munich |
Beckmann L.,German Cancer Research Center |
And 54 more authors.
Carcinogenesis | Year: 2010
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the third most common malignant tumor and the fourth leading cause of cancer death worldwide. The crucial role of fatty acids for a number of important biological processes suggests a more in-depth analysis of inter-individual differences in fatty acid metabolizing genes as contributing factor to colon carcinogenesis. We examined the association between genetic variability in 43 fatty acid metabolism-related genes and colorectal risk in 1225 CRC cases and 2032 controls participating in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study. Three hundred and ninety two single-nucleotide polymorphisms were selected using pairwise tagging with an r2 cutoff of 0.8 and a minor allele frequency of >5%. Conditional logistic regression models were used to estimate odds ratios and corresponding 95% confidence intervals. Haplotype analysis was performed using a generalized linear model framework. On the genotype level, hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase 15-(NAD) (HPGD), phospholipase A2 group VI (PLA2G6) and transient receptor potential vanilloid 3 were associated with higher risk for CRC, whereas prostaglandin E receptor 2 (PTGER2) was associated with lower CRC risk. A significant inverse association (P < 0.006) was found for PTGER2 GGG haplotype, whereas HPGD AGGAG and PLA2G3 CT haplotypes were significantly (P < 0.001 and P = 0.003, respectively) associated with higher risk of CRC. Based on these data, we present for the first time the association of HPGD variants with CRC risk. Our results support the key role of prostanoid signaling in colon carcinogenesis and suggest a relevance of genetic variation in fatty acid metabolism-related genes and CRC risk. © The Author 2009. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buckland G.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO |
Mayen A.L.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO |
Agudo A.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO |
Travier N.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO |
And 24 more authors.
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Year: 2012
Background: Olive oil consumption is associated with a decreased risk of several chronic diseases, in particular cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, data on the effects of olive oil on overall mortality are scarce. Objective: We evaluated the association between olive oil and overall and cause-specific mortality in the Spanish population in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-Spain). Design: A total of 40,622 participants (62% female) aged 29-69 y were recruited from 5 Spanish regions in 1992-1996. The association between olive oil (analyzed as a categorical and continuous variable) and overall and cause-specific mortality (CVD, cancer, and other causes) was analyzed by using Cox proportional hazards regression models adjusted for potential confounders. Results: A total of 1915 deaths were reported during 13.4 y of follow-up: 416 CVD deaths, 956 cancer deaths, and 417 deaths from other causes (for 126 deaths the cause was not available). In comparison with nonconsumers, the highest quartile of olive oil consumption was associated with a 26% (95% CI: 13%, 36%) reduction in risk of overall mortality and a 44% (95% CI: 21%, 60%) reduction in CVD mortality. For each increase in olive oil of 10 g·2000 kcal-1·d-1, there was a 7% (95% CI: 3%, 10%) decreased risk of overall mortality and a 13% (95% CI: 6%, 20%) decreased risk of CVD mortality. No significant association was observed between olive oil and cancer mortality. Conclusions: Olive oil was associated with a decreased risk of overall mortality and an important reduction in CVD mortality in this large Mediterranean cohort. This provides further evidence on the beneficial effects of one of the key Mediterranean dietary components. © 2012 American Society for Nutrition.
Gonzalez C.A.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL |
Lujan-Barroso L.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL |
Bueno-De-Mesquita H.B.,National Institute for Public Health and the Environment |
Bueno-De-Mesquita H.B.,University Utrecht |
And 45 more authors.
International Journal of Cancer | Year: 2012
In a previous European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC) analysis, we found an inverse association between total intake of vegetables, onion and garlic, and risk of intestinal gastric cancer (GC) and between citrus fruit and risk of cardia GC. The aim of this study is to reanalyze the effect of fruit and vegetables (F&V), based on a longer follow-up and twice the number of GC cases. Subjects are 477,312 men and women mostly aged 35 to 70 years participating in the EPIC cohort, including 683 gastric adenocarcinomas with 11 years of follow-up. Information on diet and lifestyle was collected at baseline. A calibration study in a subsample was used to correct for dietary measurement errors. When comparing the highest vs. lowest quintile of intake, we found an inverse association between total intake of V&F and GC risk [hazard ratio (HR) 0.77; 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.57-1.04; p for trend 0.02], between fresh fruit and risk of the diffuse type (HR 0.59; 95% CI 0.36-0.97; p for trend 0.03) and an inverse association between citrus fruit and risk of cardia cancer (HR 0.61; 95% CI 0.38-1.00, p for trend 0.01). Although calibration revealed somewhat stronger inverse associations, none of the risks reached statistical significance. There was no association between total or specific vegetables intake and GC risk. The inverse association between fresh fruit and citrus fruits and risk of GC seems to be restricted to smokers and the Northern European countries. Fresh fruit and citrus fruit consumption may protect against diffuse and cardia GC, respectively. Copyright © 2012 UICC.
Buckland G.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL |
Travier N.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL |
Agudo A.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL |
Fonseca-Nunes A.,Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL |
And 42 more authors.
International Journal of Cancer | Year: 2012
Although there is some evidence suggesting that olive oil could reduce breast cancer (BC) risk, the epidemiological data are still relatively limited, not entirely consistent and mainly based on case-control studies. Therefore, we prospectively assessed the association between olive oil and BC risk in postmenopausal women from the Mediterranean cohorts within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. The analysis included 62,284 postmenopausal women recruited from Spain, Italy and Greece who had complete dietary data (collected from validated country-specific dietary questionnaires). The risk of BC (overall and by hormone receptor subtypes) was assessed using hazards ratios (HRs) obtained from Cox proportional hazards regression, while adjusting for known BC risk factors. After a mean follow-up of 9 years, 1,256 women were diagnosed with a primary incident invasive BC. The multivariate HRs for BC risk by olive oil intake (highest vs. lowest tertile of g/day/2,000 kcal) were 1.07 (95% CI = 0.91-1.25) in the adjusted model, 1.06 (95% CI = 0.91-1.24) in the model additionally adjusted for reproductive-related factors and 1.10 (95% CI = 0.92-1.31) for the model additionally adjusted for dietary factors. There was no association between olive oil and risk of estrogen or progesterone receptor-positive tumors, but a suggestion of a negative association with estrogens and progesterone receptor-negative tumors. The results from our prospective study showed that olive oil consumption during adult life was not associated with the risk of BC. However, larger prospective studies are still needed to explore possible differences related to hormone receptor status. Copyright © 2012 UICC.
Genetic variation in alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH1A, ADH1B, ADH1C, ADH7) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), alcohol consumption and gastric cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and nutrition (EPIC) Cohort
Duell E.J.,08907 Lhospitalet Of Llobregat |
Sala N.,08907 Lhospitalet Of Llobregat |
Travier N.,08907 Lhospitalet Of Llobregat |
Munoz X.,08907 Lhospitalet Of Llobregat |
And 44 more authors.
Carcinogenesis | Year: 2012
Studies that have examined the association between alcohol consumption and gastric cancer (GC) risk have been inconsistent. We conducted an investigation of 29 genetic variants in alcohol metabolism loci (alcohol dehydrogenase, ADH1 gene cluster: ADH1A, ADH1B and ADH1C; ADH7 and aldehyde dehydrogenase, ALDH2), alcohol intake and GC risk. We analyzed data from a nested case-control study (364 cases and 1272 controls) within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort. Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were genotyped using a customized array. We observed a statistically significant association between a common 3'-flanking SNP near ADH1A (rs1230025) and GC risk [allelic odds ratio (OR) A v T = 1.30, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 1.07-1.59]. Two intronic variants, one in ADH1C (rs283411) and one in ALDH2 (rs16941667), also were associated with GC risk (OR T v C = 0.59; 95% CI = 0.38-0.91 and OR T v C = 1.34; 95% CI = 1.00-1.79, respectively). Individuals carrying variant alleles at both ADH1 (rs1230025) and ALDH2 (rs16941667) were twice as likely to develop GC (OR A+T = 2.0; 95% CI = 1.25-3.20) as those not carrying variant alleles. The association between rs1230025 and GC was modified by alcohol intake (<5 g/day: OR A = 0.89, 95% CI = 0.57-1.39; ≥5 g/day: OR A = 1.45, 95% CI = 1.08-1.94, P-value = 0.05). The association was also modified by ethanol intake from beer. A known functional SNP in ADH1B (rs1229984) was associated with alcohol intake (P-value = 0.04) but not GC risk. Variants in ADH7 were not associated with alcohol intake or GC risk. In conclusion, genetic variants at ADH1 and ALDH2 loci may influence GC risk, and alcohol intake may further modify the effect of ADH1 rs1230025. Additional population-based studies are needed to confirm our results. © The Author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved.
Bakken K.,University of Tromsø |
Fournier A.,French Institute of Health and Medical Research |
Lund E.,University of Tromsø |
Waaseth M.,University of Tromsø |
And 33 more authors.
International Journal of Cancer | Year: 2011
Menopausal hormone therapy (MHT) is characterized by use of different constituents, regimens and routes of administration. We investigated the association between the use of different types of MHT and breast cancer risk in the EPIC cohort study. The analysis is based on data from 133,744 postmenopausal women. Approximately 133,744 postmenopausal women contributed to this analysis. Information on MHT was derived from country-specific self-administered questionnaires with a single baseline assessment. Incident breast cancers were identified through population cancer registries or by active follow-up (mean: 8.6 yr). Overall relative risks (RR) and 95% confidence interval (CI) were derived from country-specific Cox proportional hazard models estimates. A total of 4312 primary breast cancers were diagnosed during 1,153,747 person-years of follow-up. Compared with MHT never users, breast cancer risk was higher among current users of estrogen only (RR: 1.42, 95% CI 1.23 1.64) and higher still among current users of combined MHT (RR: 1.77, 95% CI 1.40 2.24; p = 0.02 for combined vs. estrogen-only). Continuous combined regimens conferred a 43% (95% CI: 19 72%) greater risk compared with sequential regimens. There was no significant difference between progesterone and testosterone derivatives in sequential regimens. There was no significant variation in risk linked to the estrogenic component of MHT, neither for oral vs. cutaneous administration nor for estradiol compounds vs. conjugated equine estrogens. Estrogen-only and combined MHT uses were associated with increased breast cancer risk. Continuous combined preparations were associated with the highest risk. Further studies are needed to disentangle the effects of the regimen and the progestin component. © 2010 UICC.