Entity

Time filter

Source Type


Chen S.,Guangdong University of Finance and Economics | Claramunt C.,French Naval Academy Research Institute | Ray C.,French Naval Academy Research Institute
Journal of Transport Geography | Year: 2014

The urban growth of large cities in China is at a critical stage with the booming of the economy and impressive increase of the population and traffic demand. This paper studies and qualifies the growth and accessibility of a rapid rail transit network, and characterizes the relations with urban development using a spatio-temporal modelling approach. Several measures of the network topological structure, i.e., beta index ( β), cyclomatic number ( μ), alpha index ( α) and gamma index ( γ), are selected in order to examine and quantify the overall metro network growth of the city of Guangzhou in China. The results show that the current spatial connectivity of the Guangzhou's metro network is relatively low, this stressing the need to augment the. reliability of. the connections between the network nodes, and to increase the number of circuits in the network. A travel-time matrix is modelled and evaluates the nodes accessibility and characterizes the spatio-temporal evolution of the metro network. The spatial interaction between the different nodes of the network, as well as nodes accessibility are analyzed and derived from a potential-based model. The extension of the metro network clearly shows a dramatic tendency of positive accessibility evolution but with regional differences. In particular, the core of the city is surrounded by areas with highest accessibility values and gradually expanding outward from the core, while the locations of transfer stations have significant influence on the variation of network time-based accessibility. Taking into account different network development scenarios, the approach reveals regional accessibility differences in the metropolitan area of the city of Guangzhou, this clearly illustrating the impact of network accessibility in urban development. © 2014 Elsevier Ltd.


Wang C.,Huizhou University | Cai J.,Guangdong University of Finance and Economics
International Journal of Wavelets, Multiresolution and Information Processing | Year: 2014

In this paper, we investigate coefficient-based regularized least squares regression problem in a data dependent hypothesis space. The learning algorithm is implemented with samples drawn by unbounded sampling processes and the error analysis is performed by a stepping-stone technique. A new error decomposition technique is proposed for the error analysis. The regularization parameters in our setting provide much more flexibility and adaptivity. Sharp learning rates are addressed by means of l2-empirical covering numbers under a moment hypothesis condition. © 2014 World Scientific Publishing Company.


Liu Y.,Guangdong University of Finance and Economics
Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences | Year: 2015

In this article, the existence of positive solutions of a boundary value problem for nonlinear singular fractional-order elastic beam equation is established. Here, f depends on t,x, and x'; f may be singular at t = 0 and t = 1; and f is a non-Carathéodory function. The results obtained are based upon fixed-point theorems in a cone in Banach space. An example is included to illustrate the main results. © 2015John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.


Peng R.,Guangdong University of Finance and Economics | Wu B.,Duke University | Ling L.,Sun Yat Sen University
Research on Aging | Year: 2015

Based on the 2005 and 2008 Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey, this study examined the prevalence of undermet needs for assistance in personal activities of daily living (ADL) and its associated risk factors among the oldest old aged 80+. Multilevel multinomial logistic modeling was used to analyze the risk factors and changes of undermet needs over time. The results show that the prevalence of slightly undermet needs decreased in urban China from 2005 to 2008. However, the prevalence of undermet needs remained high; 50% or more for both rural and urban residents. Compared to 2005, the likelihood of having slightly undermet needs in 2008 significantly decreased by 28% among rural residents and 22% among urban residents. The common risk factors of undermet needs among rural and urban residents included financial dependence, living alone, having unwilling caregivers, more ADL disabilities, and having poor self-rated health. © The Author(s) 2014.


Peng R.,Guangdong University of Finance and Economics | Wu B.,Duke University
Journal of Aging and Health | Year: 2015

Objective: To examine rates of institutionalization of Chinese older adults aged 65+ and the impact of changes in health status on the likelihood of institutionalization. Method: Using data from the 2002, 2005, 2008, and 2011 waves of the Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey (CLHLS), admission rates for each 3-year interval between waves were calculated. Logistic regression models were used to assess the changes of five health status variables as risk factors. Results: Between the first (2002-2005) and third (2008-2011) intervals, the institutionalization rate increased from 0.5% to 0.8%. Risk of institutionalization increased 70% for respondents with declining ability to perform activities of daily living, 53% for those with declining cognitive function, and 44% for those with increasing number of chronic diseases. Discussion: Development of policies and programs to improve older adults' health status is essential to delay institutionalization. Quality of workforce is also critical in meeting the care needs. © The Author(s) 2015.

Discover hidden collaborations