Entity

Time filter

Source Type

Prague, Czech Republic

Hanel J.,Fakulta Zivotniho Prostredi CZU | Tomasek V.,Fakulta Zivotniho Prostredi CZU | Prochazka J.,Czech University of Life Sciences | Menclova P.,Fakulta Zivotniho Prostredi CZU | And 2 more authors.
Sylvia | Year: 2013

In 2010-2012, breeding biology of the Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) was studied in an area of 300 km2 near the city of Liberec, northern Bohemia. Mean breeding density was 3 pairs/100 km2 during the whole study period. Goshawks used larch (Larix decidua) as a nest tree in most cases (93%, n = 25). The rest of the nests (7%, n = 2) was built on spruce (Picea abies). The mean nearest neighbour distance was 5.3 km. The shortest distance between active nests was 1.37 km. The onset of egg-laying occurred between the second half of March and the second half of April. The young fledged successfully in about 85% (n = 27) of the nesting attempts. Mean number of hatchlings found on the nests at the time of ringing was 3.1. The overall offspring sex ratio (all nests pooled) was balanced (36 males and 36 females). Source

Discover hidden collaborations