Oliveira M.C.,University of Sao Paulo |
Labopin M.,EBMT |
Henes J.,Medizinische Universitatsklinik Abt Ii |
Moore J.,St. Vincents Hospital |
And 16 more authors.
Bone Marrow Transplantation | Year: 2016
This EBMT Autoimmune Disease Working Party study aimed to evaluate the influence of CD34+ positive graft selection (CD34+) on the outcome of systemic sclerosis (SSc) patients after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (AHSCT). Clinical and laboratory data from 138 SSc patients at diagnosis, before and after AHSCT were retrospectively analyzed. CD34+ selection was performed in 47.1% (n=65) patients. By multivariate analysis adjusting for all factors differing between the two groups (without or with CD34+), there was no statistically significant difference in terms of overall survival (hazard ratio (HR): 0.98, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.40-2.39, P=0.96), PFS (HR: 1.55, 95% CI 0.83-2.88, P=0.17) and incidence of relapse or progression (HR: 1.70, 95% CI 0.85-3.38, P=0.13). We demonstrate that CD34+ does not add benefit to the outcome of SSc patient treated with AHSCT. These findings should be further confirmed by prospective randomized trials. © 2016 Macmillan Publishers Limited. Source
High-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation for extra-nodal NK/T lymphoma in patients from the Western hemisphere: A study from the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation
Fox C.P.,University of Nottingham |
Boumendil A.,EBMT |
Schmitz N.,EBMT |
Finel H.,EBMT |
And 13 more authors.
Leukemia and Lymphoma | Year: 2015
Extra-nodal NK/T lymphoma (ENKTL) is rare and more frequently encountered in East Asia. The role of high-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation (HDT-ASCT) for ENKTL is unclear. Twenty-eight evaluable patients who had undergone HDT-ASCT in Europe from 2000-2009 were studied. The median age was 47 years and patients had received a median of two lines of prior therapy. Some 57% of patients were not in complete remission or beyond first complete remission at HDT-ASCT. The 1-year non-relapse mortality (NRM) was 11%; 2-year progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) rates were 41% and 52%, respectively. Notably, the 2-year PFS and OS for those with stage III/IV disease were 33% and 40%, respectively, with no relapses beyond 1-year post-HDT-ASCT. This is the largest analysis of HDT-ASCT for patients with ENKTL reported from the Western hemisphere. Survival is comparable to East Asian cohorts and outcomes are encouraging for patients with advanced disease. © 2015 Informa UK, Ltd. Source
Baronciani D.,Ematologia e Centro Trapianti |
Angelucci E.,Ematologia e Centro Trapianti |
Potschger U.,Medical University of Vienna |
Gaziev J.,International Center for Transplantation in Thalassemia and Sickle Cell Anemia |
And 15 more authors.
Bone Marrow Transplantation | Year: 2016
Allogeneic hemopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is the only method currently available to cure transfusion-dependent thalassemia major that has been widely used worldwide. To verify transplantation distribution, demography, activity, policies and outcomes inside the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT), we performed a retrospective non-interventional study, extracting data from the EBMT hemoglobinopathy prospective registry database. We included 1493 consecutive patients with thalassemia major transplanted between 1 January 2000 and 31 December 2010. In total, 1359 (91%) transplants were performed on patients <18 years old, 1061 were from a human leukocyte Ag-identical sibling donor. After a median observation time of 2 years, the 2-year overall survival (OS) and event-free survival (EFS; that is, thalassemia-free survival) were 88±1% and 81±1%, respectively. Transplantation from a human leukocyte Ag-identical sibling offered the best results, with OS and EFS of 91±1% and 83±1%, respectively. No significant differences in survival were reported between countries. The threshold age for optimal transplant outcomes was around 14 years, with an OS of 90-96% and an EFS of 83-93% when transplants were performed before this age. Allogeneic HSCT for thalassemia is a curative approach that is employed internationally and produces excellent results. © 2016 Macmillan Publishers Limited. Source