Requena T.,University of Granada |
Espinosa-Sanchez J.M.,University of Granada |
Cabrera S.,University of Granada |
Trinidad G.,Complejo Hospitalario Badajoz |
And 11 more authors.
Clinical Genetics | Year: 2014
The aims of this study were to estimate the prevalence of familial cases in patients with Meniere's disease (MD) and to identify clinical differences between sporadic and familial MD. We recruited 1375 patients with definite MD according to the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery criteria, obtaining the familial history of hearing loss or episodic vertigo by direct interview or a postal survey in 1245 cases in a multicenter study. Familial clustering was estimated by the recurrence risk ratio in siblings (λs) and offspring (λo) using intermediate and high prevalence values for MD in European population. A total of 431 patients (34%) reported a familial history of hearing loss or recurrent vertigo and 133 patients had a relative with possible MD. After clinical reevaluation, 93 relatives in 76 families were diagnosed of definite MD (8.4%), including three pairs of monozygotic twins. λs and λo were 16-48 and 4-12, respectively. We observed genetic heterogeneity, but most families had an autosomal dominant inheritance with anticipation. No clinical differences were found between sporadic and familial MD, except for an early onset in familial cases. We may conclude that MD has a strong familial aggregation and that sporadic and familial MDs are clinically identical. © 2013 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Manosa M.,Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol |
Manosa M.,CIBER ISCIII |
Garcia V.,Hospital Reina Sofia |
Castro L.,Hospital Virgen del Rocio |
And 8 more authors.
Journal of Crohn's and Colitis | Year: 2011
Background: Few data are available on the efficacy of methotrexate (MTX) in ulcerative colitis (UC). Aim: To evaluate the efficacy and safety of MTX in UC patients. Patients and methods: UC patients who had been treated with MTX were identified from the databases of 8 Spanish IBD referral hospitals. Patients were included in the study if they received MTX for steroid dependency or steroid refractoriness. Therapeutic success was defined as the absence of UC-related symptoms, complete steroid withdrawal and no requirement of rescue therapies within the first 6. months after starting MTX. Results: Forty patients were included, 70% treated for steroid dependency and 27% for steroid refractoriness. Thiopurines had been previously attempted in 87.5% of patients. The median dose of MTX used for induction was 25. mg (IIQ 17.5-25) weekly given parenterally in 82.5% of cases. Eighty-five percent of patients were on steroids when MTX was started. Forty-five percent of patients met criteria for therapeutic success. Initial treatment failures were mainly due to inefficacy (50%) or intolerance (36%). After a median follow-up of 28. months (IQR 22-47), 38% of patients with initial therapeutic success required new steroid courses, 22% started biological therapy, and only 1 patient required colectomy. The cumulative probability of maintaining steroid-free clinical remission was 60%, 48%, and 35% at 6, 12, and 24. months after starting MTX, respectively. Eleven patients (27.5%) experienced adverse events, leading to MTX discontinuation in only 8 of them. Conclusions: MTX appears to be effective to maintain clinical remission in UC, at least in the short-term, with an acceptable safety profile. © 2011 European Crohn's and Colitis Organisation.
Viso E.,Complexo Hospitalario de Pontevedra
Eye (London, England) | Year: 2011
To determine the prevalence of pinguecula and pterygium and to investigate their associations in a general adult population in North-Western Spain. An age-stratified random sample of 1155 subjects ≥ 40 years was selected in O Salnés (Spain). From 937 eligible subjects, 619 (66.1%) participated (mean age (SD): 63.4 (14.5) years, range: 40-96 years, 37.0% males). An interview to collect history of systemic diseases and lifestyle details and a comprehensive ophthalmic evaluation in which pinguecula and pterygium were recorded was carried out. The prevalence of pinguecula and pterygium and their relationship with lifestyle factors and ocular and systemic diseases was investigated. The prevalence of pinguecula was 47.9% (95% confidence interval (CI): 43.9-51.9). This prevalence increased significantly with aging (P = 0.002) and was higher in men (56.4%; 95% CI: 50.0-62.7) than in women (42.7%; 95% CI: 37.8-47.8) (P=0.001). The prevalence of pterygium was 5.9% (95% CI: 4.3-7.9). This prevalence also increased significantly with aging (P = 0.005) and was 4.8% (95% CI: 2.6-8.4) in men and 6.5% (95% CI: 4.5-9.3) in women (P = 0.346). After controlling for age and sex, pinguecula was associated with alcohol intake (adjusted odds ratio (OR(a)): 3.08; 95% CI: 1.60-5.95), pterygium with fluorescein staining (OR(a): 2.64; 95% CI: 1.08-6.46) and both disorders with outer activity (OR(a): 2.07; 95% CI: 1.36-3.15 and 2.28; 95% CI: 1.04-4.98, respectively). Pinguecula is far more common than pterygium. Alcohol consumption is strongly associated with pinguecula. Fluorescein staining is highly prevalent in subjects with pterygium. Both disorders increase with age and are associated with outer activity.
Garcia C.P.,Complexo Hospitalario de Pontevedra
Dermatology online journal | Year: 2013
Although traditionally observed in patients with end-stage renal disease and secondary hyperparathyroidism, calciphylaxis has been reported in patients with normal renal and parathyroid function. There is no evidence-based therapy available. The use of sodium thiosulfate (STS) has been increasingly described. Herein we describe two patients who responded well to this treatment.
Healthcare-associated, community-acquired and hospital-acquired bacteraemic urinary tract infections in hospitalized patients: A prospective multicentre cohort study in the era of antimicrobial resistance
Horcajada J.P.,Hospital Universitari Del Mar |
Horcajada J.P.,Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute IMIM |
Shaw E.,Hospital Universitari Del Mar |
Padilla B.,Hospital Gregorio Maranon Madrid |
And 6 more authors.
Clinical Microbiology and Infection | Year: 2013
The clinical and microbiological characteristics of community-onset healthcare-associated (HCA) bacteraemia of urinary source are not well defined. We conducted a prospective cohort study at eight tertiary-care hospitals in Spain, from October 2010 to June 2011. All consecutive adult patients hospitalized with bacteraemic urinary tract infection (BUTI) were included. HCA-BUTI episodes were compared with community-acquired (CA) and hospital-acquired (HA) BUTI. A logistic regression analysis was performed to identify 30-day mortality risk factors. We included 667 episodes of BUTI (246 HCA, 279 CA and 142 HA). Differences between HCA-BUTI and CA-BUTI were female gender (40% vs 69%, p <0.001), McCabe score II-III (48% vs 14%, p <0.001), Pitt score ≥2 (40% vs 31%, p 0.03), isolation of extended spectrum β-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaciae (13% vs 5%, p <0.001), median hospital stay (9 vs 7 days, p 0.03), inappropriate empirical antimicrobial therapy (21% vs 13%, p 0.02) and mortality (11.4% vs 3.9%, p 0.001). Pseudomonas aeruginosa was more frequently isolated in HA-BUTI (16%) than in HCA-BUTI (4%, p <0.001). Independent factors for mortality were age (OR 1.04; 95% CI 1.01-1.07), McCabe score II-III (OR 3.2; 95% CI 1.8-5.5), Pitt score ≥2 (OR 3.2 (1.8-5.5) and HA-BUTI OR 3.4 (1.2-9.0)). Patients with HCA-BUTI are a specific group with significant clinical and microbiological differences from patients with CA-BUTI, and some similarities with patients with HA-BUTI. Mortality was associated with patient condition, the severity of infection and hospital acquisition. © 2012 The Authors Clinical Microbiology and Infection © 2012 European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.