Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center

Hackensack, NJ, United States

Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center

Hackensack, NJ, United States
SEARCH FILTERS
Time filter
Source Type

San-Miguel J.F.,Hospital Universitario Of Salamanca | San-Miguel J.F.,University of Salamanca | Dimopoulos M.A.,National and Kapodistrian University of Athens | Stadtmauer E.A.,University of Pennsylvania | And 8 more authors.
Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma and Leukemia | Year: 2011

Background: In two randomized phase III trials (MM-009 and MM-010), lenalidomide plus dexamethasone significantly prolonged time to progression and overall survival (OS) in patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma compared with dexamethasone alone. In both trials the treatment was continued until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. We conducted a subanalysis to determine if continuing therapy after achieving ≥ partial response (PR) improved survival. Patients and Methods: Data were collected on 212 patients who were treated with lenalidomide plus dexamethasone and achieved ≥ PR. Kaplan-Meier survival estimates were compared between patients on continued treatment versus patients discontinuing therapy because of adverse events, withdrawal of consent, or other reasons. Time-dependent multivariate regression analyses were used to determine the benefit of continuing treatment with lenalidomide. Results: A total of 174 patients received continued treatment until disease progression or death, and 38 patients discontinued therapy without progression. There was a trend toward longer median OS in patients who continued therapy (50.9 months vs. 35.0 months; P = .0594). When controlling for the number of previous antimyeloma therapies, β2-microglobulin levels, and Durie-Salmon stage (which adversely affected survival in these patients), continued lenalidomide treatment (HR, 0.137; 95% CI, 0.045-0.417; P = .0005) or each additional cycle of lenalidomide (HR, 0.921; 95% CI, 0.886-0.957; P < .0001) were both associated with longer survival. Conclusion: Continued lenalidomide treatment until disease progression after achievement of ≥ PR is associated with a significant survival advantage when controlling for patient characteristics. These findings should be confirmed in a prospectively designed trial. © 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.


Beaven A.W.,DUMC | Shea T.C.,University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | Moore D.T.,Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center | Feldman T.,Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center | And 5 more authors.
Leukemia and Lymphoma | Year: 2012

Proteasome inhibitors may inhibit DNA repair of radiation-induced strand breaks and adducts thereby making the combination of radioimmunotherapy and bortezomib a promising approach. Preclinical models demonstrate additive/synergistic effects from combining DNA damaging agents with proteasome inhibitors. This phase I trial combines ibritumomab tiuxetan with bortezomib. Twelve patients with relapsed/refractory mantle cell and low grade B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma were enrolled. Patients with prior radioimmunotherapy were prohibited. The maximum tolerated dose (MTD) was not reached. No dose limiting toxicities (DLTs) occurred in cohort 1 or 2. One of six patients on cohort 3 had DLTs of asthenia, dizziness and neuropathy. Grade 3/4 thrombocytopenia occurred in two patients (16%) and grade 3/4 neutropenia in three patients (25%). Five subjects (41.7%) had complete responses (CRs) and one patient had a partial response (8.3%) for an overall response rate (ORR) of 50%. The combination of standard dose ibritumomab tiuxetan and bortezomib at 1.5 mg/m2 is well tolerated with a promising response rate. © 2012 Informa UK, Ltd.

Loading Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center collaborators
Loading Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center collaborators